the official beta for swype was finally released last week and it included a semi-disastrous process which left many users without a working copy or a handful of issues. it is also possible that the sign-up period for this trial version has ended, so for any of you wanting just the apk for easy installation, here you go…
1. go into settings -> applications and check the “unknown sources” box.
2. visit this post from your phone’s browser.
3. tap and download this file onto your phone: Droid.Swype.Beta.5612.apk (alt link)
5. tap on each downloaded file once finished and install it.
6. go into settings -> language & keyboard and check the “swype” box.
7. go into a text message, long press in the text box and choose “input method”.
8. choose “swype”.