If you’ve held off from going to the official ESE81 2.1 update because you simply love custom ROMs, then you are a wise and patient soul. Through ROM Manager, you can flash the new CyanogenMod 22.214.171.124 which according to Koush is “based off the eclair branch, which has newer code than ESE81” and now includes the Launcher2 with 5 columns. It runs on some of the ESE81 drivers and can be overclocked so your performance will be greatly improved. If you go through this process, your baseband will be updated and your build will be ESE81. And yes, it’s awesome.
*Note 1* – This process is for ROOTED users only. Rooting instructions here.
*Note 2* – If you have already updated to 2.1 without root, follow the instructions at this post which will get you back to stock and then to a rooted 2.1.
*Note 3* – If you haven’t updated your baseband, please perform steps 1-6 first. Your baseband only needs to be updated once, so if you have already updated to C_01.3E.03P then skip to step 7.
Updating to Baseband C_01.3E.03P:
1. Open ROM Manager.
2. Click “Download ROM”.
3. Click “Radio Update”.
4. Download the file and skip “wipe data and cache”. Perform a backup if you’d like.
5. Click “OK” and allow the update to take place.
6. When your phone boots back up, you will have to re-activate. If your keyboard is missing, exit activation, use the physical keyboard, select phone and dial *22899.
Installing CyanogenMod 126.96.36.199:
7. Go back into ROM Manager.
8. Click “Download ROM”.
9. Click “CyanogenMod”.
10. Click “CyanogenMod 188.8.131.52”.
11. Once the ROM has downloaded, make sure to check the box for “Google Apps”.
12. Then choose “wipe data and cache”. Perform a backup if you’d like.
YOU HAVE TO WIPE DATA AND CACHE. THIS IS A NEW BUILD.
13. Phone will boot into recovery, load the ROM and BAM! All done.
14. Enjoy ESE81 with Launcher2. 🙂
*Note 4* – HelixLauncher2 went immediately into a force close loop. Stick with the Launcher2 on this one.
IF YOU HAVE KERNEL QUESTIONS VISIT THIS POST.
Be sure to drop your questions in the comments so that our amazing community can offer their support!