UPDATE: FULL GUIDE TO ROOTING ANDROID 2.1 HERE.
This is a post I was attempting to avoid over the weekend, but I’ve received enough interest in the process that I figured, “What the heck, let’s do this.” While the 2.1 update hasn’t actually been rooted, there are some steps you can take to get from stock 2.0.1 to rooted 2.1. Let me just say that again…
2.1 HAS NOT BEEN ROOTED. There is no way to go from stock 2.1 to rooted 2.1.
However, if you want to take the risk of returning back to stock 2.0.1 and then applying a new update.zip, you can move forward to 2.1 with root access and fly around the globe enjoying some custom ROM-ness. So if you are with me, this is how we do it.
*Warning* – The process we are about to layout is extremely risky. If you choose to do this, we are not liable should you brick your phone or cause any sort of permanent damage. If you do harm to your phone, please do not email us asking for help as you have already been warned and accept all risk involved. Cheers!
First steps: Returning back to stock 2.0.1
In order to get to 2.1 rooted, you have to return to stock 2.0.1. Do not attempt to get to 2.1 rooted without returning to stock first. There are a few options for returning you to stock below, choose the one that best suits your situation.
1. If you have already updated to the official 2.1 follow the steps at this post.
2. If you are running a 2.1 custom ROM like Cyanogen, follow the steps at this post.
3. If are running DroidMod, follow the steps at this post.
Rooting Steps: Stock 2.0.1 to Rooted 2.1
DO NOT ROOT YOUR STOCK 2.0.1. If you root 2.0.1 and then apply this method, you could do some serious damage to your phone. Please make sure you are STOCK. If not, do not go forward with this. You should not have the superuser ninja in your app drawer!
1. Download the 2.1 update.zip file from our manual update post. update.zip (alt link)
2. Once downloaded, name it update-2.zip and place it on your desktop.
3. Download this file, rename to droid-ESE81-update-2.zip and place it on your desktop.
4. Open the command prompt (Start>Run>cmd) on your PC and type the following commands:
copy /b update-2.zip+droid-ESE81-update-2.zip update.zip
5. If done correctly, this will create a file called update.zip.
6. Mount your Droid via USB and place this new update.zip file in the root of your SD card.
7. Unplug your phone and reboot into recovery. (Hold Power + X)
8. Once the exclamation pops up, hit volume up and camera button (half way) at the same time.
9. Using the d-pad, choose “apply update.zip”.
10. Reboot and BAM! 2.1 rooted goodness!
If you run into bumps along the way, the community here has really grown, so feel free to post questions in the comments and there is a pretty good chance someone has a simple answer for you.
AND IF YOU HAVE KERNEL QUESTIONS, VISIT THIS POST.
Collapse Show Comments