Probably because Google just spent millions on a Super Bowl ad for Google Home and people could potentially be flooding their online shop (at Best Buy too) to purchase one, they are hosting a couple of discounts on Google Home and its related products. For one, you can snag a $15 discount on Home when you purchase it with a Chromecast product. Also, the Home bases that add some color to your home assistant are 50% off. Additionally, regular Chromecast and Chromecast Audio devices are $5 off almost everywhere.
To get the $15 off deal, you can combine your Google Home purchase with any of the Chromecast devices, including the Audio and Ultra. As for the bases, you’ll find them as cheap as $10, but the higher-end metal versions are now $20 instead of $40. And finally, the $5 off Chromecast deal is pretty straight forward. (more…)
An update is rolling out to Google Maps users on Android today that provides real-time information as you make your morning and afternoon commute. It’s a new toolbar with 3 tabs that is accessed with a swipe to show you nearby places, details on your travel time, and a transit tab, should you choose not to drive. (more…)
Hey, another week is over, so that means another week closer to MWC and the beginning of 2017’s first flagship season. WE. ARE. READY. FOR. NEW. PHONES. The LG G6 is up first, and boy did we have a bunch of leaks on that front this week. We also got Android 7.1.2, re-reviewed the Google Pixel, found out when to expect the first “5G” markets from AT&T, and are wondering if Razer is going to build a smartphone.
Below, you’ll find the biggest Android stories of the week. Be sure to catch up! (more…)
Looking over January’s Android distribution chart, with February’s sure to drop any day now, Nougat is not being used by a ton of people. 0.7%, to be exact. As you may realize, though, DL readers are not just average consumers. They are on the bleeding edge of Android technology, always striving to run the latest Android build from Google.
In this poll, we want to know just how bleeding edge you are, so let’s see if your phone has been updated to Nougat yet. If you bought a Pixel, then you’re automatically a winner, so props to you. If you don’t have Nougat yet, let us know in the comments which phone you are using.
Let’s hear it!
Plex, the personal media collection service that allows you to stream your movie, music, and photo collections from anywhere, received integration with Amazon’s Alexa today. Thanks to new voice controls through an Echo, Echo Dot, or other Alexa-supported device, your Plex experience is ready to step into the future.
To get setup, you’ll need to enable the Plex skill, which you can do through the Amazon Alexa app on your phone. Once done, you can then ask Alexa to open Plex and get to streaming. (more…)
Android 7.1.2 has been out for a couple of days and we are still digging through what appears to be a pretty small, incremental update. However, we have stumbled upon one small change, pointed out by a reader who sent us a tweet. (more…)
Just over a year ago, we asked you all if you were using the fingerprint reader on your phone. Thankfully, a solid 60% of you said “Yes!” that you are. Unfortunately, the other 40% either did not have a fingerprint reader on their phone or just flat out said, “No.” That’s disappointing, only because fingerprint readers offer convenient security, in that they enable you to lock down your phone should you misplace it, yet still easily access its contents in seconds. It’s one of those features that is a no-brainer in terms of using.
So now that another year has passed and most phones seem to have launched with a fingerprint reader on either a front chin or backside, we wanted to ask again. Do you use the fingerprint reader on your phone? If not, please, please, please explain why.
For anyone not down with flashing builds manually, it appears that Google has green-lighted the OTA update rollout for Android 7.1.2.
Keep in mind, this OTA is only available to those with a compatible device (Pixel, Pixel XL, Nexus 5X, Nexus Player, and Pixel C) and who are enrolled in the Android Beta program. If you aren’t signed up, you can do so here and instantly download the beta. And for anyone with a Nexus 6P, don’t worry, access for you should be made available soon. (more…)