Because Facebook has so many different services that so many of you
unfortunately use, they wanted to integrate a payment system that is more consistent. Today, they are introducing Facebook Pay to help with that, so you’ll soon have a similar payment experience between Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp.
What can you do with this new Facebook Pay? This is how Facebook described it in a press release today:
- Add your preferred payment method once then use Facebook Pay where available to make payments and purchases on our apps, instead of having to re-enter your payment information each time
- Set up Facebook Pay app-by-app, or choose to set it up for use across apps (where available) — that means we won’t automatically set up Facebook Pay across the apps you are active on, unless you choose to do so
- View payment history, manage payment methods and update your settings in one place
- Get real-time customer support via live chat in the US (and in more places around the world in the future)
- Clearly understand which payment services are part of Facebook
To start, Facebook Pay arrives on Facebook and Messenger this week for fundraisers, in-game purchases, event tickets, person-to-person payments, and purchases from select Pages and businesses from the Marketplace. The Instagram and WhatsApp integration will happen “over time.”
To find Facebook Pay and get setup with a payment method, you’ll open Settings>Facebook Pay on Facebook or within Messenger.