This morning, TomTom launched a revamped version of its GPS Navigation and Traffic app, free to download by anyone who wants to try something new over Google Maps. For new users, the app will give you completely free access to navigate roads and check traffic, but only for the first 50 miles.
Once your trial miles are up each month, you will be asked to sign up for TomTom’s subscription service to continue using the application. TomTom’s hopes are that you will be so impressed with their app, that you will spend $19.99 a year for it, or get a bundle deal for three years at $44.99.
Features also include 3D graphics of landmarks for easier navigating while driving, alerts for safety cameras (pesky law enforcement prevention), and the ability to plan routes with zero data connection.
If you the free service Google offers through Maps is no good for you, and you need something a bit more robust, check it out for free on Google Play.
- Always know the fastest route: TomTom Traffic gets you there faster
- Get real-time traffic information: See exactly where delays start and end and how to avoid them
- Quick access to your favorites: Immediately start driving to your favorite places
- See buildings and landmarks in stunning 3D: Know exactly where you are so you never miss a turn
- Get alerts for safety cameras: Avoid speeding fines with accurate and timely speed warnings
- Navigation you can rely on: No need for an internet connection to plan your route
Some of our best videos.