Sorry to leave everyone hanging last night after posting the video tutorial on how to flash SPRecovery to your stock 2.1 Droid, but I wanted to wait to post this video until today to catch a broader audience. Today’s video will walk you through step-by-step on how you can boot into SPRecovery and load basically any custom ROM you want without actually having root. What is also fantastic, is that after you flash over a new ROM, you will have 2.1 root assuming you’ve chosen a 2.1 ROM.
So here we go! Let’s get everyone on a custom 2.1 ROM and rooted…
*Warning* – The process we are about to layout is extremely risky. If you choose to do this, we are not liable should you brick your phone or cause any sort of permanent damage. If you do harm to your phone, please do not email us asking for help as you have already been warned and accept all risk involved. Cheers!
1. You have to follow the steps from yesterday on flashing SPRecovery using RSD Lite.
2. You need to find a custom ROM that you would like installed. In the video I’ve chosen the ROM that I’ve been using over the last week called JRummy’s Remix which is based off of CyanogenMod 126.96.36.199. It’s a fantastic ROM.
3. I used the “update.zip” method of installing a custom ROM in this video. This process will work for any ROM which has the option of installing using an update.zip file. Here is a list of similar ROMs to the one I have in the video…
- JRummy’s Cyan Theme
- JRummy’s Blue Theme
- JRummy’s Green Theme
- Simply Stunning 3.1
4. If you find a ROM which will only allow the Nandroid backup method, this video should help you out.
1. Update and backup any files you wish to restore, this will wipe /data.
2. Download your ROM of choice and rename to update.zip.
3. Place the ROM on the root of your sdcard.
4. Reboot into recovery mode (hold the power and “x” button at the same time).
5. Choose “Wipe data/factory reset”.
6. Choose “Wipe cache partition”.
7. Choose “Install”.
8. Choose “Allow update.zip installation”.
9. Choose “Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)”.
10. Reboot and you will have to add your Google accounts again.
11. Done! Enjoy!
*Note 1* – Keep in mind that you can flash one of the ROMs listed above which will give you 2.1 plus root access and if you do not like it, download ROM Manager and change to whatever you’d like. There is also a 2.1 stock ROM with root available in ROM Manager.
Questions? As always, drop them in the comments so that we can all take a shot at answering them!