Nest announced this week that glass break detection is arriving for the Nest Secure security system early this month, specifically for the Nest Guard unit.
The way it works is simple. Users will need to have Nest Guard within 15ft. of whatever glass or door they want to monitor. If Guard detects the sound of a door or glass breaking, it instantly analyzes the sound on-device to confirm it was indeed that sound and not something else, then it goes about its alarm system duties (loud noises) and notifies you.
If you have a Nest Guard installed in your home, here’s the process of enabling this new feature.
How to Enable
- Open your Nest app.
- Tap the Settings icon on the Nest app home screen.
- Select Security > Security levels.
- Choose Away and Guarding or Home and Guarding.
- Tap Glass break detection.
- Turn on Glass break detection and choose the amount of time you want before the alarm sounds.
- To set up glass break detection in another security level, go back to step 3.