ESPN and Disney’s new ESPN+ streaming service has finally launched after months of hype. Along with the launch of this subscription service, a new ESPN is here with a pretty dramatic redesign.
The design of the app starts off with a Home section that includes a dynamic feed filled with video clips, personalized content based on your teams and preferences, scores, highlights, etc. It’s a lot like the ESPN home page, only in mobile form. Additionally, you’ll find sections for Scores, Watch, Listen (podcasts), and Sports. These are all pretty self explanatory, but the Watch section is where you’ll find access to ESPN’s channels as well as ESPN+.
I’ve attached ESPN’s explanation of ESPN+ below, where they discuss the types of features and content you’ll find in the $4.99/mo service. You’ll get HD streams at 60fps, playback controls (pause, rewind, etc.), limited ads, and ways to sign-up for additional premium sports packages, like MLB.TV.
Overall, the app redesign looks pretty slick if you like ESPN’s way of presenting content. It’s a lot like theScore’s recent positive changes following their disastrous initial overhaul. The content is separated into proper sections, your teams are always highlighted, and the Watch section is there for all that ESPN shows across its line-up of channels. As a loyal theScore user, I’m actually going to give this ESPN update a fair spin.
What’s new in the ESPN app:
- HOME: The most personalized and complete content experience. A dynamic feed that allows each fan to be presented with any type of relevant ESPN content and coverage — scores, news, video clips, live events, features, analysis, graphics, statistics and more. The home feed balances what is important to each individual fan and the most important and compelling content that ESPN knows sports fans need.
- SCORES: Immediate access to all the latest scores that fans follow every day, prioritizing favorite teams and sports right at the top.
- WATCH: A new, completely re-imagined and fully integrated live and on-demand video experience featuring three tiers of video access, all powered by BAMTECH Media’s best-in-class video platform:
- Video Clips and Highlights – accessible to all users, ESPN offers the most complete library of highlights, clips and short-form sports video – logging hundreds of millions of views every month;
- “TV Everywhere” Streaming – for pay TV subscribers, live and on-demand access to ESPN’s U.S. linear and digital networks;
- ESPN+ – for subscribers of the direct-to-consumer streaming service, access to thousands of additional live sporting events, original content and shows, and on-demand video library.
- LISTEN: The leading library of sports audio content, including live ESPN Radio streaming and a lineup of top sports podcasts accessible on demand.
- SPORTS: One-click access to a fan’s favorite teams, leagues and sports and quick navigation to complete coverage of any of the dozens of sports and leagues ESPN covers around the world.
Features of ESPN+:
- Value & Flexibility – 7-day free trial, followed by a subscription fee of just $4.99 a month or $49.99 a year, with the ability to cancel at any time. During the first week of launch (April 12-18) fans are being offered a special extended 30-day free trial subscription backed by American Express;
- HD Streaming – high-definition, 60 frames per second stream quality makes the action crisper and cleaner;
- Live Pause, Rewind and Restart – pause, rewind and start-from-the-beginning functionality for all live and on-demand content, all with the ability to multitask on devices while streaming;
- Limited Advertising – ESPN+ subscribers get a differentiated advertising experience throughout the entire ESPN App or website, with no display ads and no pre-roll ads within video content (ads remain in the natural advertising breaks of live sports content);
- Sports Marketplace – the ability to also subscribe to additional premium streaming services like MLB.TV (and NHL.TV, beginning in 2018-19) all within the ESPN app environment.
The update is live right now for all.
Some of our best videos.