Facebook has a new feature for Messenger users this week, rolling out to all Android and iOS devices. Called Messenger Day, it allows users to share all their happenings into a Instagram Story-like roll of videos and photos.
If this sounds odd, that’s because it is. You see, Facebook owns Instagram and Instagram has Stories. The features of Stories and Day are basically identical. Users can snap a photo and add stupid stickers, or take a video and add stupid stickers or neon-colored text to that. Once you have something you think is worthy of sharing with friends, you post it to your “Day,” which can then be viewed by anyone on your Facebook friends list.
The real difference is the interaction FB hopes to take place between people, which is something not pushed by Instagram. While you can comment on a post via Instagram Stories, Messenger Day is about talking and meeting up with friends.
Here’s the complete rundown on how it works, should you be interested.
How It Works
- First make sure you’ve updated your Messenger app so you have the latest version.
- Open Messenger, and tap on the camera highlighted with a sun to celebrate this launch. Doing so drops you right into the full-screen camera. Or, tap the “Add to your day” button at the top of your inbox to get started.
- Snap a quick selfie or take a photo or video of what’s around you.
- To add art and effects, tap the smiley face icon in the top right and then tap to add to your photo or video. You can also add text over your images by tapping the “Aa” icon, and you can overlay a drawing by tapping the squiggly line in the top right corner.
- Once you have your photo or video the way you want it, tap the arrow in the bottom right corner. You can then add directly to your day, save it to your phone’s camera roll, and/or you can choose to send it to a specific person or group of people. The photo or video that you add to your day will be viewable for 24 hours.
To use Messenger Day, head on over to Google Play and make sure you have the latest version of Messenger.
Some of our best videos.