We may earn a commission when you click links to retailers and purchase goods. More info.
Facebook is rolling out a new Notification tab to their mobile apps on both Android and iOS that gives its users more control over the information presented throughout the day or as they change locations. Not only will this tab show your notifications, but you will be able to customize it to show life events, upcoming events you are attending, sports scores, weather, etc. It’s a lot like Google Now, though you may have more control here than what Google gives you with its own service.
Facebook users have apparently told Facebook that they want to control the notification experience by adding in personal touches like birthdays and TV reminders, or to show movies playing nearby or restaurants worth eating at, so Facebook has done just that.
Here are some of the things you will see in the new Notification tab:
- Friends’ milestones, like birthdays and life events
- Sports scores and TV reminders, based on Pages you’ve liked
- Upcoming events that you’ve joined
- Things happening around your community, like local events and news that is popular in the city you live in
- Weather updates, like current conditions and severe weather alerts
- Movies playing in theaters near you
- A list of nearby places to eat, with links to the places’ Facebook Pages and reviews
The new Notification tab is starting its rollout today, but will likely happen slowly. Facebook says that even with this new feature, your “current notification settings will not change, and you can adjust those any time in your Settings.”
Let us know if you see it!