We have Custom ROM Friday back in action, and this is the first week we asked our readers to choose which ROM we feature. We had an overwhelming response and according to your voices, we have chosen to feature CarbonRom.
I flashed Carbon to a Nexus 4 and in terms of changes made to Android 4.2, it’s over the top, but in a good way. The developers added a ton of useful customization options, as well as other performance settings that make the Nexus 4 (or any other device you happen to flash it to) even more of a beast than it already is.
For example, the PIE feature that we have written about before is on board, as well as a kernel that handles over/underclocking with ease. They have added the ability to change all your enabled quick settings in the pulldown bar, and it also has theme capabilities on top of options to change your navigation bar’s colors and enabled buttons.
Note: To flash a custom ROM, your device must be unlocked and running a custom recovery.
1. Download the right zip for your device and place it on your internal memory.
2. Download the gapps zip and place that on your internal memory as well.
3. Reboot into custom recovery.
4. Create a nandroid backup.
5. Install the ROM zip file.
6. Flash the gapps zip file following ROM installation.
7. Reboot and enjoy.
With a ROM like Carbon, it is hard to go over every added feature, but I can now see why so many people have been singing its praise. For a quick overview of some fancy features, see the list below.
- Comprehensive speed enhancements, including Linaro -O3.
- Unofficial Voodoo Sound support on Note 2 and i9300 devices.
- Carousel lockscreen
- Customizable lockscreen buttons and sliders
- Chronus clock widget
- Customizable hardware and software keys
- Transparent navbar and status bar
- Navigation bar widgets
- Customizable power menu
- Notification power widget
- Notification brightness adjustment
- Customizable quicksettings panel
- Samsung Galaxy SIII
- Samsung Galaxy Note II
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus
- Samsung Galaxy Note International – n7000
- Samsung Galaxy SII International – i9100
- LG Nexus 4 – mako
- HTC International One X – endeavoru
- HTC One S – ville
- Asus Nexus 7 – grouper
- Samsung Nexus 10 – manta
- Samsung Infuse 4g – infuse4g
To download and get to flashing, check out their homepage.
Cheers everyone who recommended Carbon!
Some of our best videos.