A new Swiftkey Flow beta was just released to the public as version 18.104.22.168. It includes a bunch of performance fixes, allows flowing on tablets in landscape, takes care of memory leaks, improves battery usage, and more. This is the first major update to Flow after its initial launch, so the Swiftkey team was quick to point out that they are still working through a pretty solid bug list.
We’ve included the changelog, a “things to be aware of” section, and the known issues list from Swiftkey.
Hit up the break and download it to your phone or tablet!
Download version 22.214.171.124: Smartphones | Tablets
- Flow-through-space autocommit: if you flow-through space but mess up your last word, all the prior words will be inserted (instead of losing all the words)
- Flow in landscape on tablets (only in full layout, not in split layout)
- Battery usage improved (when flowing and when not in use)
- Performance of flowing and tapping improved
- Longpress of bottom-right (smiley/enter) button now works
- Fixed some force close issues
- Fixed some memory leaks
- Predictions not lost when changing keyboard layout (e.g to symbols)
- Fixed DOuble CApitalization issue
Things to be aware of:
- Flowing currently only works in fields where you see the prediction bar: in fields that have their own prediction or completion there is no prediction bar and therefore no Flow (e.g. URL bars, search bars, the “to” field of an email)
- Flow-through-space only works in languages where smart space works – in some languages this is turned off because words are often made by combining other words together,and so smart space would divide up words that you want to keep as one. Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, Georgian, German, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Persian (Farsi), Romanian, Swedish, Tagalog, Turkish, Ukranian, Urdu may not work with Flow-through-space
- SwiftKey Flow Beta does not currently contain any features that were new in SwiftKey 3.1 (Berry theme, new languages, split layout in landscape for normal-sized devices)
- Slide-left-to-delete a whole word does not work when Flowing is enabled – instead try holding down the backspace key to delete word-by-word
- Flow trail is sometimes left on the screen at the end of a word
- Personalization service continues running when it has finished
- Memory usage is still higher than we would like
- Flow trail is very faint on some CyanogenMod ROMs
- Force closes on Motorola Atrix and LG G2X with custom ROMs >= 4.0
- If a language pack is downloaded while typing the keyboard is not refreshed
- Predictions are too large on LDPI devices
- Predictions occasionally lost when alternately backspacing/spacing at the end of a word
- Ukrainian spit layout is broken
- Estonian words containing ö are not predicted
- Arrow keys do not repeat on longpress
Some of our best videos.