This post is long overdue and I deserve a slap on the wrist for not posting it sooner!
For those of you looking for a truly “built from source” ROM that is not based at all off of CyanogenMod, then you need to check out SAPPHIRE. There are only a few developers out there who can actually say “from source” without getting castrated by the community and this is one of them.
While SAPPHIRE is still very new and currently has just a few themes (for those not loving stock), their builds will be something to pay attention to for a long time. These releases are fast, incredibly stable and come packed with all the features you’ve come to expect from the Droid developer community.
Today’s release is their 0.7.0 Froyo build which as far as I can tell is based off of FRF84B and has been running flawlessy on my Droid for a full day now.
Give these guys a run ya’ll!
Download: sapphire-0.7.0-update.zip (alt link)
*For SPRecovery, simple rename to update.zip and install.
1. Download the above file and drop on the root of your SD card.
2. Open ROM Manager and choose “Install ROM from SD Card.”
3. Scroll down and find sapphire-0.7.0-update.zip and tap on it.
4. Check the box to make a backup of your current ROM.
5. Skip “wipe data and cache” if coming from another Froyo build.
6. Phone will reboot, install SAPPHIRE and you are done!
Full support including donate link at the SAPPHIRE website.
They are currently porting themes over to this 0.7.0 build, but you can find themes for their 0.6.2 build right now if you just can’t wait any longer.
Again, check these guys out, give them some Droid Life love and a big belated welcome to the community!
Cheers ‘Tato and ‘Picolas!