To kick of its own CES 2017 week, Dish just unveiled a new set top box called AirTV that’s powered by Android TV and might be the perfect option for cord cutters who stream everything. The box comes preloaded with Sling TV, Netflix, YouTube, and has access to apps on Google Play. It also comes with an optional OTA antenna for free local channel access.
The AirTV is capable of streaming 4K content, plus it features a Bluetooth voice remote and quick access buttons for launching Netflix, Sling TV, or Google Play. The box starts at $99 and currently includes a free $50 Sling TV credit (for new and existing customers). However, if you also want to include the OTA antenna for access to local channels, you can pay $129 and get the OTA antenna adapter as well.
Of course, with Android TV as the operating system, you get not only the preloaded apps like Netflix and Sling, you get access to the dozens of other Android TV apps too. That should mean Playstation Vue, Plex, WatchESPN, and all of your other favorite Android TV apps a quick search away.
Here is the list of features:
- Pre-loaded apps – AirTV Player includes Netflix, Sling TV and YouTube pre-installed for easy access to popular streaming content. A Sling TV account and Netflix membership are required to access those apps.
- Google Play Store – Built on Android TV, AirTV Player provides access to thousands of shows, movies, apps and games through the Google Play Store. A Google account is required to use the Google Play Store.
- Netflix integration – With the click of a button, a user can launch directly into their selected Netflix content within the Netflix app. Users without a Netflix subscription will have a row of curated suggestions of TV shows and movies along with the ability to sign up and start watching.
- 4K compatible – AirTV Player can play 4K content, available on Netflix and other apps in the Google Play Store.
- Wi-Fi compatible – AirTV Player connects to dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz) networks that use the 802.11ac / n/ a / b / g standard.
- Bluetooth voice remote – The AirTV remote controls the AirTV Player via Bluetooth and provides access to popular apps, including dedicated buttons for Sling TV, Netflix and Google. The remote features voice capabilities and can control power and volume on any connected TV or sound system utilizing infrared. AirTV Player can automatically detect a connected TV or sounds system using HDMI CEC, or the user can enter the information manually.
AirTV is available today from AirTV.net.