During today’s Nest event, Tony and the boys announced that a new Nest 5.0 app would arrive on both Android and iOS. If you are at all a Nest fiend like me, then you have been checking constantly since the event wrapped for an update to the app. As it turns out, all of that checking for an update was a waste of time, because you actually have to install a brand new Nest app. Let me say that again – the old Nest app can be uninstalled and you will need to install the new Nest app. I know, this isn’t typically how big updates go, but that’s what we’re working with here.
The new Nest app is now just called “Nest” instead of “Nest app” like the original. The new icon for it also has a bit more gradient and shadow, for those paying attention.
As a recap, the new Nest 5.0 app is a big deal. Not only does it feature a brand new UI and support for the Thermostats and Protects, but it brings in your Dropcams as well (the new Nest Cam too). So now, all of your Nest products live under a single app.
Here is the list of new features:
- Home Screen – Each Nest Thermostat, Nest Cam or Dropcam has its own spot, while all your Nest Protects roll up into one icon. You can also see live video previews of all your Nest Cams on the home screen so you can get a quick glance of different rooms.
- Nest Learning Thermostat – It’s now easier to get to and use popular thermostat functions like Energy History, Heat/Cool mode and schedule.
- Nest Protect – Provides access to Safety Checkup, which lets you test all your alarms from the app, and App Silence lets you hush false alarms from your phone.
- Nest Cam and Dropcam
- Nest app offers new enhanced features for phones, including zoom and enhance, which adjusts to give you a sharper view.
- Talk and Listen is now easier to use. Just hold down the icon and start talking, just like a walkie-talkie.
- If you have a subscription to Nest Aware with Video History: The Nest app provides a summary of captured events, making it easy to spot moments in your Video History when your camera sensed motion or sound. You can easily skip among events or jump 30 seconds at a time.
- Dropcam Pro and Dropcam HD can now be accessed from within the Nest app.
- If you have a Nest Cam and Nest Protect in the same room, you’ll see a camera button when you get a smoke or CO alert on your phone. Tap the button and you’ll immediately be taken to a live view of your home, so you can see what’s going on. Nest Cam will also record a clip of what happened, even if you don’t subscribe to Nest Aware with Video History.
Again, this is a brand new app that requires a full install. The old Nest app, well, feel free to get rid of it.
Some of our best videos.