Owners of the SHIELD Tablet from NVIDIA are receiving early Christmas presents this year, in the form of a firmware update to Android 5.0.1. Android 5.0.1 is primarily bug fixes for Android 5.0, but NVIDIA also threw in a few tweaks for users.
Included in the update are system performance improvements, with tweaks made to the general UI as well as app responsiveness. In addition, NVIDIA brought back its SHIELD Power Control Menu, which allows users to tweak CPU settings for performance.
Finally, camera enhancements have been made, including an update to the preinstalled Camera Awesome application. The full changelog can be viewed below.
- Operating System update to Android 5.0.1 – SHIELD Tablet gets updated to the latest version of Android ‘Lollipop’. This is a minor release which includes a few bug fixes and updates
- System performance enhancements – Improvements in general UI and app responsiveness, including switching between apps
- Camera enhancements: Live HD Effects (HDFX) – The Camera Awesome app gets some cool new creative effects for stills and videos. All the effects leverage the power of the Tegra K1 GPU to deliver live-preview and full resolution recording with the effects
- SHIELD Power Control Menu – We’ve brought back the SHIELD Power Control Menu, based on community feedback
- Memory optimizations – Enhanced support and optimizations for memory intensive apps
- OpenGL 4.5 support
- Localization improvements
To go along with this happy news, be sure to enter our current contest where we are giving away two SHIELD Tablet prize bundles to celebrate the holidays.
Some of our best videos.