AT&T continued its rollout of Kit Kat (Android 4.4.2) updates to its line of Samsung Galaxy devices this morning, adding the Galaxy S4 Active to the list, while Verizon can’t seem to update any of its. AT&T has already updated the Note 3 and Galaxy S4, but had yet to show love to its Active variant until now. Well, their support pages show that it may have received it back in May, though today is apparently the start of the mass rollout.
As far as the update goes, we’re looking at a bump up to Android 4.4.2, with better lock screen controls, better handling of SMS, a restyled notification bar, new location controls, and more.
Here is the changelog from Samsung:
- Android 4.4 OS upgrade (http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/)
- New Lock Screen Access
- Media Controls – full-screen album art and media controls when listening to music
- Camera Shortcut – access the Camera application right from the lock screen
- SMS App Chooser – select a default application for sending and receiving SMS text messages
- Restyled Status and Navigation Bars – status and navigation bars are translucent and can sit on top of apps, along with simplified status bar icons
- Consolidated Location Settings – location services are integrated and more detailed by new Location menu
- Expanded Emoji Icons
- Wireless Printing – supports printing over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Copy and paste improvements
- Easier to insert pictures and videos in email or messages
- Camera app accessibility from the lock screen
- Call reliability improvements
And the list from AT&T:
- Improved user interface with Android 4.4 KitKat: The latest version of Android includes enhancements such as re-styled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen-immersive mode, color emoji support, improved closed captioning support, stronger security and smarter power use.
- Enhanced music access: Full screen album art and media controls are available from the lock screen when listening to music.
- Camera access: The camera can also be accessed directly from the lock screen.
- Location menu: An integrated location menu enables users to easily activate GPS and share location details.
- Wireless printing: Integrated support for wireless printing available in enhanced settings.
- New sound controls: Set sound for specific Samsung applications in enhanced settings.