Have you ever started composing a long email or instant message, only to have the fruits of your typing labor deleted when the app crashes? In many apps, there’s no way to recover this lost text. That’s where Type Machine comes in — it caches everything you type in any app you would like it to, providing you with a simple way to look back at what you may have lost.
Though it may sound like the perfect app to be a keylogger sending off all your passwords to a happy developer somewhere, it has a few measures in place to assert that privacy is present. Password fields are not recorded, and you can set blacklists for certain apps such as those used for banking or text messaging. Also, the app (in its current form) does not have the ability to access the Internet, so you can rest knowing that all the information gathered by it will stay on your device. And finally, you can add a PIN lock, so you don’t have unwanted people snooping around your typing history.
You can configure Type Machine to automatically delete additions that are a certain amount of days old as well, so you won’t have to worry about typing too much and wasting space on your device.
The full list of features is below:
- Completely automatic and seamless. Logs everything from every native Android app.
- Stays out of the way until you need it. Simple to use when you do. Brings global undo to Android.
- Safe and private. No unnecessary permissions. Allows you to set a PIN lock on the history list. Automatic deletion of old entries.
- Configurable blacklist for apps. Type Machine won’t collect what you don’t want it to.
- Tablet-friendly user interface.
Keep in mind that some accessibility services on your device could negatively affect this app’s functions. Also, on some Samsung devices, text-to-speech may get enabled on the home screen and within some applications — the developer does not have a fix for these annoyances.
Type Machine can be found on Google Play for $1.99, and after using it for a while I’d say it’s one of those essentials to just keep around.
Collapse Show Comments