waiting impatiently for your android 2.0.1 OTA update from verizon for your motorola droid? you can jump head of the game and do this manual installation. just follow these instructions…
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
1) Download the file update.zip and place it in the main root directory on the DROID’s microSD memory card.
-Do NOT place it in any sub-directory or rename the file to something else.
2) Power the phone off.
3) Slide open the phone so you can see the keyboard.
4) Press-and-hold the letter X on the keyboard and press the Power button until the device powers on.
5) Continue to hold the X button until the screen shows a triangle and exclamation mark.
6) Release the X button and then press the Volume UP *and* Camera buttons at the same time. Keep the phone open.
7) On the screen you will see several choices, use the d-pad to move down the list and select the “update.zip” file.
8) The update will begin and take a few minutes.
9) Once it is done, select the 1st option on the screen to Reboot the phone – NOT Factory Restore.
10) The phone will turn off and then restart, and the “DROID EYE” will show for about 2-5 minutes.
11) Once the Home Screen loads, everything will be intact, including programs and settings.
12) Turn phone back off, remove battery, wait 1 minute, replace battery and turn phone on.
let us know if you have any issues with the installation and we’ll do our best to help troubleshoot.
(h/t to phonearena.com for the instructions.)