The update is quite large, bringing with it a restyled lock screen with new media controls and camera shortcut, updated notification bar, Beats Music, expanded emoji support, wireless printing, Bluetooth enhancements, Immersive mode, and all sorts of other little goodies.
AT&T joins Sprint as the first to bring Kit Kat to the Galaxy S3. To check on the Kit Kat status of your device, check out our ongoing list.
To initiate the update, head into Menu>Settings>More>About device>Software update>Check for updates.
Here is the list of changes:
- Android OS Version upgraded to 4.4.2
- New Lock Screen Access
- Media Controls – full-screen album art and media controls when listening to music
- Camera Shortcut – access the Camera application right from the lock screen
- SMS App Chooser – select a default application for sending and receiving SMS text messages
- Restyled Status and Navigation Bars – status and navigation bars are translucent and can sit on top of apps, along with simplified status bar icons
- AT&T Drive Mode is changed to DriveMode
- “Beat Music” Pre-loaded
- Video player closed captioning Settings > My device > Accessibility > Google subtitles (CC) and Samsung subtitles (CC)
- Unified Location Menu: Settings > More > Location Location Settings is same as Location service in JBP. User can set the Locating method and check the recent location requests
- Expanded Emoji Icons
- Wireless Printing is added. You can add printing support to your apps or develop print services to support specific types of printers. Apps > Settings > Connections > More networks > Printing
- Prevention Information pop-up message is suppressed.
- Copy & paste improvements
- Email allows inline editing
- Phone/Dialer user interface enhancements
- Settings changes
- Bluetooth enhancements
- Immersive mode addition
- Keyboard enhancements
- HCE (Host card emulation) Enabled
- UICC (Universal Integrated Circuit Card ) is set as default
- GMS apps update (GMS 4.4.2_r2).