Many of you seem to always be looking for a new MMS app which will allow for more customization including different LED lights and notification settings. Sure there are apps like Handcent out there, but what if there was a way to simply make the stock MMS app more amazing? Well, now there is thanks to Koush. (Of course.)
In this newly polished MMS.apk, you can change LED lights, how fast they blink, set vibrate patterns, and even decide whether or not you like the black background. Pretty cool right?
*Note 1* – There is a pretty good chance that this is already included in most Cyanogen ROMs. So before going through with this process, check out your MMS Settings.
Instructions using Root Explorer…
1. Download this file to the root of your SD card: MMS.apk (alt link)
2. Place it on the root of your SD Card.
3. Using Root Explorer navigate to /sdcard/ and locate Mms.apk.
4. Long press on Mms.apk and select “copy.”
5. Press “back” once and tap on /system/app/
6. Click the “Mount R/W” button up top. (It will switch to “Mount R/O”)
7. Long press on Mms.apk and rename to Mms.apk.bak for safe keeping.
8. Click the “Paste” button at the bottom.
9. Long press on your new Mms.apk and tap “Permissions”. Set as:
User: Check “Read and Write”
Group: Check “Read”
Others: Check “Read”
UNCHECK everything else.
10. Click the “Mount R/O” button.
11. Reboot your phone and you are done. Enjoy your new MMS settings!
Instructions using Terminal Emulator…
*Note 2* – Before doing this, it’s a good idea to make a copy of your original Mms.apk. Find it in /system/app and place a copy on your PC or in another folder on your SD card.
#mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
#cp /sdcard/Mms.apk /system/app
#mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
3. Your phone will reboot and you are done. Enjoy your new MMS settings!
*Note 3* - This process will NOT delete all of your MMS messages. If you are worried that it might, try a program like Sprite Backup to save them.
Questions/comments? Thanks again to Koush.