engadget has the latest rumors from a verizon source claiming the android 2.1 update for our motorola droid has hit their testing department. so maybe the supposed leaked document we brought you on saturday actually had some potential? or the february 10th date?
- It’s based on Android 2.1. The build currently being circulated is identified as 2.1 version 1, mirroring the update just pushed to the Nexus One last week.
- Google Goggles is now pre-installed (no matter how unhelpful it may be).
- The browser’s now multitouch enabled, just like Google Maps 3.4. Huzzah! No Flash, but then again, we weren’t really expecting that.
- Interestingly, the home screen’s still got the same look as 2.0.1, meaning it doesn’t adopt the Nexus One’s rotating 3D grid of app icons — it’s still got the pull-up drawer tab at the bottom.
- No active wallpapers. Bummer!
- The news and weather widgets introduced on the Nexus One are included. Maybe certain capabilities of 2.1 are going to be restricted to devices with minimum performance benchmarks?
i’m assuming they meant no live wallpapers which is too bad as that is one of the only features we haven’t seen ported over to the droid and were all looking forward to.