Sick of waiting for some hacked version of Swype to be released every time there is a new beta released to their somewhat exclusive program? Still upset that you missed the signup period? Well as of today, you no longer have to worry. Swype just handed us 50 invitations to give out to Droid Life readers who want to be a part of the program! Pretty sweet right? (+1 Swype)
And since these are premium invites, we’re going to make it slightly more difficult for you to enter. OK, not terribly difficult, but instead of just 1 step like most of our contests include, you will have 2.
How to enter:
1. Join our forums and post the reason you love Swype in this forum thread.
2. Follow us on Twitter and tweet the following message:
@droid_life is giving away 50 Swype beta invites! Contest details here – http://goo.gl/EE5o #swype #android
We will pick the 50 winners tomorrow afternoon and forward them on to our friends at Swype. After they have received the list, they will setup invite accounts for the winners and forward you the information needed to get the latest beta and become a part of their program.
There you go, another giveaway here at Droid Life. A big thanks to Swype for the 50 invites!
Good luck everyone!
I know that Droid X users probably felt a little left out yesterday with all of the Swype’s flying around for the original Droid and the Incredible, so we wanted to bring you some new toys to play with. There is a batch of themed Swypes available for rooted Droid X users that you must check out. Colors range from red to green to black to blue and all have color coordinated tracers to match the particular theme.
ALL CREDIT TO bad4u6669 AT XDA FORUMS.
Download: Black | Blue | Red | Green
*Note* – If you want to save your original Swype file for safe keeping, use Root Explorer and find it in /system/app. Make a copy of it and save it somewhere on your SD card.
1. You have to be rooted.
2. Open Koush’s Droid X Bootstrap, bootstrap recovery (if you haven’t) and then reboot recovery.
2. Scroll down to “install zip from sdcard.”
3. Select “choose zip from sdcard.”
4. Select the themed Swype file that you downloaded above and “yes” to install it.
5. Reboot your system.
6. Enjoy your new Swype!
Let us know if you run into any issues.
A couple of semi-new versions of Swype are available to download for the Droid Incredible and don’t require an installer or an email address to get rolling on your phone. Version 1.61 looks and acts just like what you’ll see on the Galaxy S lineup of phones and version 2.4.44 is the beta that many of you were unable to sign up for. Grab whichever one you prefer after the jump! (more…)
Forum member BloodiedWraith hooked us up late last night with Swype Beta 18.104.22.16812 which is the newest version available. And when we say “hooked up” we mean a version that is installable without an installer or a registration email. This is as straight up of an app installation as you’ll find. He sent me a message last night thanking the Droid Life community for all that it has done and wanted to give back. I’d say he more than gave back. Enjoy and be sure to thank him back!
Download: Removed by request from Swype.
(Of course there are plenty of spots to find them near by.)
1. Uninstall all previous versions of Swype beta and reboot your phone.
2. Find the .apk file you downloaded from above, tap on it and install.
Again, this community just amazes me more each day. It’s been a full 10 months now and we’re as strong of a community as ever. Thanks everyone for making this the most enjoyable Droid spot on the planet!
If you are a part of the Swype beta then there is a new version available for you to upgrade to today. To get it, you have to have been a registered tester in their program, meaning you need an email and login in order for it to work correctly. They suggest that you uninstall your old version including the installer and then download the new version from your phone here.
Here is the changelog:
- Added German and Portuguese languages
- Added the auto-space suppression short-cut gesture: Swype from the spacebar to backspace
- Added the quick language switch short-cut gesture: Swype from the Swype Key to the Q key
- Improved the word prediction algorithm to provide better support for additional languages
- Improved handling of several gesture collisions, including want/wasn’t, to/too and others
- The Android IME no longer sometimes hangs/crashes when Swype scrapes the user’s address book for dictionary entries
- Tips and help menus now accessible when a password field is active
- Backspace now works in applications which use raw key input instead of an editable text field (e.g. terminal emulator)
- The single character “i” is no longer incorrectly auto-capitalized in non-English languages (reported by many of you!)
- Tons of other minor bug-fixes, including many device-specific issues
What’s interesting is that this “beta” is version 22.214.171.12412 while the Droid 2′s official version is only 126.96.36.19980. Who knows right?
We’ve seen quite a few emails from users having trouble with Swype after manually updating to Froyo and wanted to let you know that this is normal. In fact, Swype has identified the problem already and provided a simple fix. Just uninstall and reinstall it.
To uninstall the Swype Installer and Swype:
1. On the phone, go to Settings → Applications → Manage Applications → SwypeInstaller → Uninstall
2. When it asks if you want to uninstall SwypeInstaller, press OK
3. SwypeInstaller should uninstall
4. Then, in the same location choose Swype → Uninstall
5. When it asks if you want to uninstall Swype, press OK
6. Swype should uninstall
After that, simply install again using the “installer” which should be somewhere on your SD card just like you did from day one. Here are the official instructions for reinstallation. Fixed!
Cheers Yager for the faq link!
No more hacked or leaked versions! No more beta period ending freakouts! Yay!
As of today, Swype has opened up their beta to the public giving all of you who missed their initial closed sign-up period, a chance to get in on the official action.
To download yours, visit Swype’s site here.
You would have thought that the world had come to an end once the clock started striking midnight across the world last night and everyone’s Swype beta died off. Well here you go…
*UNINSTALL YOUR OLD SWYPE FIRST.*
For the DROID/Milestone:
For the Incredible:
Download: com.swype.android.inputmethod (1).apk
Give it up once again to the XDA Forums for putting these together. We all owe those guys a giant hug and some donations.
Source: XDA Forums