wasn’t that nice of google to release google earth yesterday to all 2.1 users? all i have to say is, “nice try big g.” this is android we’re talking about remember? did you really think that this community of android machines and amazing developers would not conquer all? well it has. again!
instructions for installation…
1. go into settings -> applications and check the “unknown sources” box.
2. make sure you have “astro file manager” installed on your phone.
2. visit this post from your phone’s browser.
3. tap and download this file onto your phone: google_earth.apk (alt link) (alt link2)
4. when finished downloading, open up astro file manager.
5. find your “downloads” folder and and tap the “google earth” file.
6. tap “open app manger” and then “install”.
let me know if you have any issues!
the long awaited google earth app has finally arrived in the android market. for those of you not familiar with google earth, just think of it as google maps on steroids and a super fun toy to mess with in your spare time. practical uses? not many that i can think of, but would love for someone to enlighten me.
there was talk of this only being available for the nexus one and 2.1 phones, but it showed up for me first try in the market. (i am currently rooted which may have something to do with it.) and now that it has finished downloading and installing, i can tell you that i am definitely flying around the planet using 2.0.1.
update 2/22 9:23am: apparently you can only access this app on your moto droid if you are rooted. interesting for sure…that 2.1 update better be coming this week.
features include multi-touch and voice search. (quick tip: using 2 fingers, do a twisting motion and you will get the earth to spin.)
how about some pics of the dubai earth islands? eiffel tower?