This morning, our buddy MKBHD is going to have a fireside chat with Motorola CEO Dennis Woodside. According to Guy Kawasaki, this is a chat that Android users won’t want to miss, and Marques mentioned he will be discussing the Moto X, Moto G, Project Ara, and lots of Android. (more…)
Motorola would probably like to forget 2013′s Cyber Monday as quickly as possible. The day started with excitement over the Moto X deal they planned to kick off – $150 off full retail phones – but quickly turned into a disaster once their site buckled under the heavy amounts of traffic that flooded in minutes before the sale was to begin. Customers sat on their MotoMaker site for hours trying to get in orders and as they waited for some sort of word out of Motorola’s camp as to what was happening. We didn’t know much until we were 12 hours in, something their CEO is now apologizing for. (more…)
Dennis Woodside, the CEO of Motorola, announced the Moto G this morning to a room full of enthusiastic listeners. Although the Moto G was fun, it was what Woodside had to say about the Moto X that has us more excited. According to him, the Moto X should be receiving the update to Android 4.4 ”within a matter of weeks.” Not months, but weeks. (more…)
According to Motorola’s CEO Dennis Woodside, the Google-owned company is not just attempting to dominate the custom-designed smartphone game, but it also wants to do tablets. In a recent discussion with Engadget, Woodside confirmed that tablets are something the company is currently working on, but has nothing to announce at this time. It was not confirmed that the tablets would be built through MotoMaker, like the Moto X, but given Motorola’s feeling on customization being the company’s future, it could be likely. (more…)
In a meeting directly following the unveiling of the Moto X, Motorola’s CEO Dennis Woodside gave a little insight into his company’s plans to release a cheaper version of the device for developing and prepaid markets. In the upcoming months, Motorola plans to unveil a cheaper X model, one that will be more desirable to those who aren’t looking to pay $600+ for a smartphone, in addition to it being available internationally where customers tend to buy devices outright, not subsidized through carriers. (more…)
Dennis Woodside, Motorola’s new CEO, just confirmed in an interview at D11 that they are indeed making a phone called Moto X. He said that the phone will be the first smartphone built in the U.S. “We’re building it in Texas,” Woodside mentioned during his sitdown. They are going to employee about 2,000 people outside of Forth Worth at a 500,000 square foot facility to make the magic happen. (more…)
With China giving their approval of Google’s acquisition of Motorola over the weekend, both companies said it would be a matter of days before they closed. It took two, as they finalized the deal this morning.
Google made sure to mention that Motorola will remain a separate company and that they will license Android, which will remain open. They also noted that Sanjay Jha will step down as CEO of Motorola and that Dennis Woodside, a senior VP at Google, will take his place as the new CEO of Motorola. This move was rumored all the way back in February. Jha will help as he can to ensure a smooth transition. For those concerned about Jha, know that he made $47 million last year and also plans to take home a massive check for stepping down, now that this deal has been completed.
There were no immediate plans for change specifically noted in the press release this morning other than the fact that Woodside has brought on an all-star team of industry leaders to help the company going forward.
Now that the deal is done, are you ready to see this merger “supercharge” Android? (more…)
Oh, boy. According a report from Bloomberg, current Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha will be replaced by Dennis Woodside, who is a senior VP at Google and has been leading the transition of the two companies and reporting directly to CEO Larry Page.
Now that the merger has essentially been signed off on, we sort of expected there to be some shuffling up at the top. But dropping Sanjay? Did anyone see that coming? OK, be real, many of you were certainly hoping this would happen after 2 years of questionable moves by Motorola’s smartphone division and what seems to be declining sales quarter after quarter.
Neither Motorola nor Google would confirm the move, but Bloomberg seems to be satisfied with their 3 sources who of course, will remain nameless.
If you are wondering how Sanjay will survive going forward, rumor has it that he will make somewhere around $66 million extra thanks to pushing this merger into the lap of Google. I’d say he should be able to put dinner on the table for a couple of years.
And yeah, I’m dying to hear your thoughts on this one.