The rooting crowd for the Droid Incredible appears to be in full swing, pumping out themes and ROMs almost daily that rival those on any other device. In fact, there are so many polished and stable looks out there that we are now ready to start a regular feature for the DI just as we have done for the original Droid and as of last Friday, for the Droid X.
First up is probably the most popular of the DI themes, but one that is also the most worthy of being featured. Say hello to INCredible rEVOlution, a ported theme off of Manup’s now ridiculously famous rEVOlution theme for the EVO.
Instructions and gallery after the jump! (more…)
Droid Incredible owners have been asking for a 2.2 rooting method for quite some time now and the unrevoked team has come through again. This should work with a stock Android 2.2, stock, straight-out-of-the-box Incredible. And since this rooting method falls under the “1-click” category, I’ll let you know now that the most painful part of the process is simply getting the correct drivers on your PC and phone. Once you get those set up, it really does take just one click.
To help you get your drivers installed, check out the following from an XDA Forums thread…
1. Windows users MUST install the HBOOT drivers for this to work: http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/do…driver_install
2. Windows users need to uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). Disabling HTC Sync from the system tray is not enough. They interfere with the root process and will cause problems.
3. When asked for USB connection type, select “Charge Only” and “Remember this”.
This Wiki may also help.
And once you have all that setup, head over to unrevoked to grab the 1-click file!
(The method was pulled last night due to an EVO issues, but should be back shortly, if it’s not already.)
Ahhh, the finding of an early morning OTA update.zip file. My favorite.
So yeah, the “official” Android 2.2 update for the Droid Incredible has been found and is ready for your manual consumption. It’s a pretty simple process that we’ll assume causes you no pain. Well maybe a little.
*Note 1*- This is for stock non-rooted users ONLY.
1. Download the update.zip file from here. (DIRECT FROM GOOGLE.)
2. Drop the file on the root of your SD card. (Meaning, don’t put it in any folder.)
*MAKE SURE IT’S NAMED UPDATE.ZIP!
3. Turn your phone off.
4. Press and hold the Volume Down and Power at the same time to boot into HBOOT.
5. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
6. Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
7. When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
8. Using the volume button, scroll down to “apply sdcard:update.zip” and select it.
9. Your phone will now update!
10. It could take some time, so be patient. When it reboots, you are on official 2.2. Yay!
Via: XDA Forums
Cheers Android Central for the Google Link!
And cheers to everyone who sent this in!
We’ve had a chance to flash the new (and what appears to be official) Android 2.2 for the Droid Incredible and wanted to drop the instructions on you.
*Warning* – For those that aren’t rooted, the steps are pretty simple (read Note 2), just understand that this will wipe your phone completely clean meaning all of your apps will be gone and you’ll need to set up your accounts/settings again. Also be warned that if this is not the official update, it could be extremely difficult to back out of and OTA updates could pass you by. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. You accept all risk involved.
UPDATE: FOR NON-ROOTED USERS, THE UPDATE IS COMING TOMORROW OTA. DO NOT UPDATE TO THIS.
Instructions: (pulled from XDA and edited)
*Note 1* – If you are rooted, make sure you have flashed the unrevoked-forever file!
*Note 2* - If you just want to update to 2.2 without root, just plug your phone in and run the RUU which you can download from here.
1. Download this file and place on your SD card.
2. Boot into hboot (Hold optical button + power) and select Bootloader.
3. PB31IMG.ZIP will start to install.
**Step 3 note** Your phone might reboot to either hboot or recovery after trying to install PB31IMG.ZIP, just get back to hboot and install again, when you get back to hboot you should notice its version .92 and S-OFF is still on, just install PB31IMG.ZIP again and all should be good. I believe at one point after it updates hboot it has to reboot to finish the install, so this might be what you are seeing.
4. Reboot, setup your google account, etc.
5. Put the files attached below on the root of your SD-Card.
***Files are PB31IMG.ZIP (this is not the update, either delete the other PB31IMG.ZIP or rename it to PB31IMG.BAK, this is just clockwork recovery in the PB31IMG.ZIP) , payload-update.zip, and su-220.127.116.11-ef-signed.zip***
6. Power down phone and boot to hboot (hold optical button + power).
7. Install PB31IMG.ZIP in hboot, this installs clockwork recovery.
8. Once that is done installing, press volume down, so your phone doesnt reboot, then select recovery.
9. Once you boot into recovery choose install zip from SD-Card, then choose payload-update.zip.
10. After that installs, choose to install another zip and install su-18.104.22.168-ef-signed.zip.
11. Reboot and enjoy your rooted phone running the new Froyo.
Have fun kiddies.
Only hours after our source dropped a 9/1 Froyo release bomb for the Droid Incredible (then retracted it), a full Android 2.2 leak snuck into the wild. And we aren’t talking about some simple nandroid ROM, we’re talking an RUU which is like an SBF file in HTC land.
You can grab the file from the source link below, but you may want to hold off from flashing this just yet.
Update: INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS HERE.
We’re still in the process of flashing this to our own DI and will let you know as soon as we have finished, but really you just need to understand that this is big news. And maybe our jittery source wasn’t so wrong after all?
Source: Shipped ROMs
Via: Android Central
Everything I’ve heard over the last few days suggests that Android 2.2 for the Droid Incredible is still going through a variety of tests and this latest build is evidence of just that. While we still have no official release date, these builds are starting to become about as polished as you’ll find.
From what we can tell, there are no major differences between this build and the last one we had a week or so ago. Well there is one thing we noticed immediately and that is the return of the old HTC IME keyboard. As you may remember from our first impressions of Froyo with Sense, the keyboard hiding button had been removed and for whatever reason returned in this build. Who knows?
*For rooted Droid Incredible users only.
1. Download the zip file above to your SD card.
2. Open ROM Manager and choose “Install ROM from SD card.”
3. Choose the zip file you downloaded and check the box to create a backup.
4. Skip the box to “wipe data and cache” as this build will wipe everything anyway.
5. Allow your phone to reboot and work some magic.
6. Should reboot with the new Sense Froyo love. Enjoy!
As always, let us know of any issues should you run into some. This is a great build for DI owners.
Flash is not included but can be downloaded here. (alt link)
Cheers to our tipster for the leak and unrevoked for scrubbing this thing clean!
When an “official” Android 2.2 build with Sense leaked for the Droid Incredible last night, we jumped at the opportunity to check it out. Early rumors from HTC suggested this build wouldn’t be ready until X-mas, so this came as quite a nice surprise and could mean we’ll see a major Froyo onslaught start next week for our entire Droid family.
First Impressions: The phone is fast, but it has always been fast. This isn’t the Eris here people; it’s always had a 1.0GHz processor and specs to compete with the best of them. Once you start seeing phones performing at this level, it becomes tough for your eye to really notice much of a difference. The benchmarks on the other hand show quite the improvement.
Check out the rest including a full gallery after the jump! (more…)
The Android 2.2 update for the Incredible, Droid X and Droid 1 might actually be on its way after a leaked version of the official OTA update for the DI just went live only a few hours after we saw this screenie of the Droid X. This is the full on updated SenseUI version with 720p recording, mobile hotspot, etc. The real deal people.
Unfortunately for the non-rooted Incredible users, this is built as a ROM and requires you to be rooted, perform a full wipe and be on the newest baseband which leaked a week or so ago in order for it to work.
I should also warn you that returning to stock after doing this might be difficult at this time, so please don’t come asking for a way to return if the OTA update does in fact start rolling out next week.
*THIS IS FOR THE DROID INCREDIBLE ONLY.
Full support thread at the source link below.
Any of our rooted DI peeps on this already or willing to give it a shot?
Source: XDA Forums