Big news out of the NVIDIA camp today, as the company announced a major update for the SHIELD portable gaming console. To freshen your memory, when SHIELD was first launched, NVIDIA was quite open about keeping the device updated with the newest versions of Android.
Well, not only does this new update for SHIELD bring Android 4.4.2 Kit Kat, but NVIDIA isn’t stopping there.
On top of the newly updated mobile OS, NVIDIA is pouring on GameStream enhancements – including Remote GameStream (streaming PC games from outside of your home), remote login support, and Bluetooth keyboard/mouse support – as well as a completely overhauled UI for TegraZone, which includes new features such as an integrated news feed for all of the latest and greatest concerning Tegra gaming.
Users will also be able to take advantage of enhancements made to the Gamepad Mapper, with a polished up interface and easier access to download Mapper profiles.
To top off this great news for current SHIELD owners, portable gaming console hopefuls will have a chance to buy the SHIELD for a lowered price of just $199 starting today, running through the end of April.
Ready for a full look at what’s new with SHIELD? Take a look down below.
- Remote GameStream (BETA) – stream your PC games to SHIELD from outside your home
- Wake on LAN support: remotely wake up your PC from sleep mode
- Remote Login support: login to a locked PC remotely from SHIELD
- Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse support – play your favorite keyboard and mouse PC games on the big screen in Console Mode
- Notebook support (BETA) – stream your PC games to SHIELD, using a compatible GeForce GTX-based notebook PC
- Manually add unofficially supported games to your GameStream list from GeForce Experience.
- Pin-based PC to SHIELD pairing with ability to pair multiple PCs to your SHIELD
- USB Y-cable support – charge your SHIELD when using Ethernet in Console Mode with a micro USB Host OTG Y Cable
- Advanced Settings – manually set bitrate, FPS, and optimal settings preferences
- New user interface to better organize and discover games
- Over 140 games now in TegraZone
- Integrated news feed for the latest SHIELD and TegraZone articles
Gamepad Mapper Enhancements
- New, polished up user interface with easier access to download and share Mapper profiles
- Ability to access Mapper by long holding either NVIDIA button (Power Menu) or Start
- Upgrade to the latest KitKat OS