Amazon announced a free software update for owners of Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HDX tablets this morning, full of new features and optimizations. A few changes in OS 3.1 users will experience is a newly baked-in integration with Goodreads, an online book reading/reviewing community where bookworms can share recommendations with each other. Amazon also added a video “Fling” feature that allows users to fling movies and TV shows from their tablets, right to a Samsung Smart TV or PlayStation 3 console.
For all of the Kindle Fire owners here, check out the full feature changelog.
- Find and share books with Goodreads – Goodreads on Kindle lets you connect with the Goodreads community to follow friends and see what they are reading, and share and rate books on your Kindle Fire.
- Organize your content with Cloud Collection – Organize your content library into collections like “Favorite Books” and “Sports Apps” that are synchronized with compatible Kindle devices and reading apps.
- Watch movies and TV shows on another device with Second Screen – Fling movies and TV shows from your Kindle Fire to your 2013 Samsung Smart TV or PlayStation 3 using Second Screen.
- Learn more about books with Smart Lookup – With the Smart Lookup feature, you can quickly look up words in the dictionary or Wikipedia or translate text in a book.
- Print from Your Kindle Fire – Print Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents, photos, e-mails, calendar events, and contact information from your Kindle Fire to a printer that supports mobile printing.
- Free up storage space with 1-Tap Archive – With 1-Tap Archive, your Kindle Fire groups all content that has not been used recently so you can move it to the Cloud with just one tap.
- Enhanced enterprise features – Manage security certificates and connect to your company’s Wi-Fi network—whether you’re at home or at work—with remote VPN capabilities.
- Set alarms and view additional time zones with the Clock app – Use the all-new Clock app to check the date and time, set an alarm clock, and more.