While I haven’t followed the story of AT&T’s HTC One X all that closely, I was under the impression that it had yet to be rooted on software version 2.20. As of today, that is no longer the case, thanks again to @djrbliss. He has created a root tool that will give you temporary root, which then allows you to unlock the bootloader of your device via HTCDev, and potentially flash a custom recovery followed by a rooted ROM to keep root. (Hopefully that made some sort of sense).
The instructions are after the break, but I highly recommend that you hit up the XDA thread at the bottom for full support. Congrats AT&T One X owners, and welcome to the party.
On a related note, isn’t there an $823 bounty for rooting this phone?
- Download the exploit from: http://vulnfactory.org/public/X_Factor_Windows.zip
- Extract the entire zip file.
- Connect your device via USB, ensure you have the latest HTC USB drivers installed, and ensure USB debugging mode is enabled.
- Double-click “run.bat”.
- Follow the instructions printed by the exploit. You will need to authorize two backup restorations during the exploit’s execution.
- If the exploit is successful, it will print “[+] Set CID!”. If it does not print this, the exploit has failed, so please do not continue.
- The exploit will automatically reboot into bootloader mode. Press enter after bootloader mode is finished booting, and the exploit will print your CID. If the exploit was successful, it should return “11111111” as your CID.
- If your CID was successfully set, press enter to generate an unlock token.
- Visit htcdev.com, navigate to the “Bootloader unlock” section, choose “All other supported models” from the drop-down menu, and provide the unlock token when asked.
- After unlocking the bootloader, you can flash a custom recovery partition via fastboot, boot into recovery mode, and use a recovery ADB shell or install from an update.zip to install Superuser and su (I do not provide support for custom recoveries, but this is a straightforward process that other people can help with).