The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with 4G LTE will finally be available Thursday at Verizon as the first truly high-speed tablet, confirming our report from this weekend. As expected, it’ll launch in two colors (white and gray), two sizes (16GB and 32GB), and at $529 and $629 on 2-year contract. The Tab 10.1 will run Android 3.1 (Honeycomb), but should be updated in the very near future to 3.2 alongside Samsung’s TouchWizUX tablet interface.
The real news though, is the fact that this is Verizon’s first 4G LTE tablet, a title the Motorola XOOM was supposed to carry almost 2 months ago now. Unfortunately for early adopters, they have been passed on by and have no idea when they’ll get these massive data speeds. The XOOM has also undergone a price cut, making that $799 purchase back in February one of the more painful of the last couple of years.
But as to not rain on the Galaxy Tab 10.1′s parade, we’ll finish it off by saying that this tablet is the best on the market today. We’ve had the Google I/O special edition 10.1 tab since May and have used it more than any other. I’m still not sure I would recommend locking into a contract for one, so let’s wait and see what that full retail price sneaks in at.
Both colors pictured below.
Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 With 4G LTE Available At Verizon Wireless
4G LTE and Wi-Fi Models Available; 8.6 Millimeters Thin and Weighing in at 1.25 pounds
BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced that the Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1 with 4G LTE will be available July 28 in either Metallic Gray or Glossy White in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online atwww.verizonwireless.com/SamsungTab4GLTE.
- 4G LTE – customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage areas
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Android™ 3.1 Honeycomb platform – supports Google™ Mobile Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Search™, Google Maps™, Google Movies™, Google Books™ and Android Market™
- Adobe® Flash® 10.3 technology
- NVIDIA® Tegra2 dual-core 1 GHz application processor
- 10.1-inch HD touchscreen display with WXGA 1280 x 800 resolution
- 3-megapixel rear-facing camera and 2-megapixel front-facing camera for video chat capabilities
- 1080p HD video playback on a HD TV or other 1080p HD device
- Samsung Media Hub – offers a vast lineup of critically acclaimed films and TV programs for rent or purchase. Media Hub has been redesigned, allowing customers to playback Media Hub content on their TV through an HDMI adapter (sold separately). Purchased content can be shared with up to five devices enabled with Media Hub at no extra cost.
Pricing and data plans:
- Verizon Wireless will offer two 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 models both priced with two-year customer agreements: $529.99 for the 16GB model and $629.99 for the 32GB model.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 customers will have the option to choose one of the following mobile broadband data plans:
- $30 monthly access for 2GB monthly allowance
- $50 monthly access for 5GB monthly allowance
- $80 monthly access for 10GB monthly allowance
- A 16GB Wi-Fi-only Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 will also be available online at www.verizonwireless.com on July 28 for $499.99. The Wi-Fi-only model will be available in Metallic Grey.
Samsung Media Hub Credit:
- For a limited time, Verizon Wireless customers will get a free $25 Media Hub credit from Samsung with their Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 purchase, good towards TV program purchases. Restrictions apply, see inbox insert for additional details or visitwww.samsung.com/VerizonTabPromo.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 106.3 million total wireless connections, including 89.7 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 83,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visitwww.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library atwww.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About Samsung Telecommunications America
Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC, a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, develops and markets wireless handsets and telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, please visitwww.samsungwireless.com.